Monday, May 2, 2011

My Sunday

Ok so I know I have been absent for a while now. Those of you who have added me on MSN are aware of whats all been going on, but the rest here it is...

To start off, I went to a party at my friend Boxer's house on Saturday night as planned. What was not planned was all of us being drunk enough to be in the front yard yelling racial slurs at each other even though we are all white? Anyways, the neighbor called my dad and some of the other parents and we all got busted. My punishment was originally grounded for two weeks and no phone for one week. Well this was all well and good but it got worse.

My mom pulled me into our empty guest room upstairs after church and started to ask me questions. She wanted to know why I have not had any girlfriends. Well instantaneously lies filled my head and I was going to go to the predetermined course of action Ashley and I worked out, "Ashley is my girlfriend!" But before I could utter a single word my mom started in again... "And dont tell me your dating ashley because I know better." Well I lost it all, my composure, my mind, I was frightened and ravaged and sick to my stomach and wanted to just jump off of a bridge. I flipped out.

There was swearing and vulgarities, the 'F' word was mentioned, I think I might have called her the 'B' word and basically told her that my life with women was none of her business in the most non-peaceful way possible. The grounding immediately rose to 2 months and i forget how long without the phone but it was basically forever. It wasnt over.

She of course had to tell me dad part of what had happened and as the MSN guys pointed out, I should have realized that she pulled me away from my dad so she could talk about it in private but i freaked and it went totally the wrong direction! I told them i had to go to play practice and left. I went to Ashley's house. I chatted online with the msn guys and they urged me to apologize to my mother. At about 7 o clock i rode home, carefully put my bike away and walked back inside. I found my mother in the den and asked her if I could talk to her. She gave me a look, i dont know if it was me or her look but i fealt like I was being scanned, searched for something. She said yes.

Long story short, mainly because I am getting tired of typing, I apologized and she ungrounded all of it. All punishments were gone. She asked me if I am doing stuff with boys. I just stared at the ground the whole time. She told me that all the rules that had applied to girls apply to boys as well. She also went on to say that whenever she is involved that permission to hang out with other boys will come into question now as well. She told me she will never speak of this to my father and she will not be speaking of it to me from now on either. She walked out of the room and I just sat there. I was sobbing. I went up to my room and called Ashley.

Ashley told me it was ok. She also told me she was glad I had seen reason. See... earlier at her house I had a moment. I asked her if she would miss me. She of course asked what I meant, I said If i wasnt around anymore. She slapped me and told me that she never wanted to hear me speak of such nonsense ever again. I was contemplating a solution to my life's problems. A solution for my parents. A solution for my friends. I am glad I have the bestest friend in the entire world.

So in hindsight the party was an open door. I accomplished two things. I kissed Nolan while he was practically passed out drunk out on the deck and I came out to my mom in a very twisted and dark way. Ashley's friend says she thinks Nolan was gay at his old school before he moved here last summer. Not sure if its true but it is now my mission to find out. Hope everyone else had a great weekend.

And peace out!

Tanner C.

PS: Osama Bin Laden is dead huh? Well, its sad that he had to die and that so many people in this world had to die all in the name of terrorism. All the deaths will not make it right. His death doesn't bring anybody back, but at least he is done. It is all just sad and before anybody gets all bent out of shape that I am not a Osama Bin Laden hater or I do not have enough respect for 9/11. Anthony Randall C*****, Born July 22nd, 1975, Died September 11th, 2001... my only uncle. An office manager on floor 47 of the south tower.

6 comments:

  1. Lots of ups and downs this weekend, buddy. But a big accomplishment and now you've got less to worry about with mom knowing. Knowing what I know, it's good she's chosen to take your side as far as not telling your dad. But don't be surprised if he figures it out, too, at some point.

    I certainly understand the outburst with your mom. If I were cornered that way, I might have done the same thing, I know I lost it with my dad a couple of times. It's good you took the high road and apologized to her. I suspect she felt bad about cornering you that way, and perhaps even about pushing you to the breaking point. Her reaction was the same as yours: over the top, and you gave her the perfect way to loosen up when you said "I"m sorry".

    Oh, and I want to kiss Ashley. For slapping some sense into you. If you EVER let those thoughts cross your mind, you find one of us, we'll point you to pro help...or slap you silly!

    I'm sorry about your uncle, that's awful. But you're right, Bin Laden is gone, finally. A symbolic blow to the terrorists, but a blow nonetheless.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, Tanner... you had quite a time, eh? I just read the last line of your post and my heart dropped. I'm really sorry, kid... That's the sadness of all this.. I saw the announcement last night as I was shutting things down, and it didn't really surprise me or anything. I mean, how long can you really hide with Predators and Special Forces on your six?

    No, I just kind of felt sad... Not for him... No, he was just a junkyard dog, only he took on the mantle of oppressed Muslims, the world over... I mean, that's a crummy guy for a role model, but I guess when he did those evil things, he got the followers he wanted because of all the frustration out there...

    So, thousands of innocent people died here, for him to make his point, and then in the backlash (Afghanistan & Iraq), God knows how many innocent people are no more...

    It saddened me, because I knew that the reaction would be a lot of flag waving and cheering and I felt like crying, more than cheering. I couldn't get that picture out of my mind of the cloud of black smoke as the last tower crumbled and took our innocence away.

    Wow... sorry, Tanner. I didn't mean to be so sad.

    I really wanted to say that you need to be calm and strong... I know this cuts you to the quick- the 'where's your girlfriend' stuff. The identical thing happened to me at your age- the prying looks and the snide remarks of my family as I got older and didn't want any part of their idea of 'normalcy'.

    I decided to tell them that it was none of their business, just like you did... It DID stop the questions, after a while, but it also created a divide. I decided that noone could be trusted with my secret.

    Tanner, those were different times.

    I mentioned my blog the other day... I don't know if you visited it yet, but I mentioned it for a reason-- you see, I kept that secret for over 46 years, and only came out to my family, 4 days ago... The stories of my childhood are there, altho I had to make some private, because that's how my last blog was nuked- telling the truth about those days. But, the story of my coming out is there too... I hope you don't wait as long as I did... It's been a really tough path to follow... love, tman<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's quite the emotional weekend. I'm glad Ashley and the msn guys helped you decide how to patch things up with your mom.

    I think jay is right that your dad may very well figure things out. So I think it's probably a good idea to decide how you'll handle it if he asks. It's just my personal opinion, and I don't know your dad, so take this for what it's worth — but it seems to me that lying is not a good idea, and if an evasive answer doesn't work, the main thing he needs to understand is that you didn't decide to be attracted to boys: it just happened, and you don't know why. If he can realize that you didn't choose your orientation and you can't simply choose to change it, then he should be okay with it — maybe not happy, but okay.

    Hang in there.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tanner
    I had a moment with my mum similar to the one you had when I was 17 - I had a younger schoolfriend who was the first boy I fell in love with (he didn't love me back, story of my life!), and I made the mistake of showing how upset I was when he broke his leg and I found out he'd be off school for 6 weeks. The main question she asked - 'What is he to you?', and the disgusted tone of voice in which she asked it will stay with me until the day I die. I never really came out to her, although I did tell her a few years later not to expect any grandchildren from my direction - and then got married and had a daughter. I don't know who was more surprised, me or her!
    As the others have said, please don't go along the lines of doing yourself any harm - even if you were grounded until you were 18, you'll be free to be yourself thereafter, and it'll be much easier to find a way to live your life in the way that suits you best.
    I applaud your mature attitude towards the Bin Laden business - as you say, his death won't bring any of his victims back, it's just a revenge killing, effectively. I'm sorry your uncle, and all the others, had to die because of clashing ideologies. It would be nice to think that the killing will stop now, but, sadly, I'm as certain as I can be about anything that it won't.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was very fortunate in that my own coming out (http://thebrightestboy.blogspot.com/2009/08/to-be-proud-of-who-you-are.html) was greeted with acceptance and love.

    During my childhood, though, I struggled mightily with my parents' clear opposition to homosexuality. Their disapproval led me to suppress my instincts for years.

    I'm glad for you that you've admitted the truth to yourself, even if not to others. It took me until I was 21 to do that.

    And it sounds like the episode with your mother could have gone worse; she didn't really freak out, so obviously she's not too bothered over it. It's also good that she had the discretion not to tell your father.

    Hopefully one day he'll be able to accept it, but if now isn't the right time than now isn't the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I meant to say "'then' now isn't the right time."

    ReplyDelete